We thought we would do some research to find out what is generally recommended before giving our opinion. The answer can vary greatly from 2 to 15 years and depends on a number of factors, as you have probably already guessed.
In this blog, we will answer this question based on what it is you want to paint and where it is located. Our focus, for the purposes of this blog, will be on residential houses and apartments. In which case, the question should consider external or interior surfaces. We will cover both.
Firstly, we will cover the interior. We need to consider factors such as the amount of moisture in a room. Clearly, bathrooms and laundries will be exposed to more moisture and will need to be painted and maintained more frequently.
How often should you paint a bathroom?
Due to humidity that is often prevalent in a bathroom, we recommend painting every 3-5 years. Good ventilation will let some of the humidity escape and extend the time between painting as will mould-resistant paint. Painting Pros are experts in the application of mould resistant paint. Ask us about it
How often should you paint a bedroom?
The main factor here is children and the number of occupants in the home. Normally internal walls need repainting every 5-10 years. However, if you have young children consider painting every 2-5 years.
How often should you paint the exterior?
it really depends on your location, the climate and the paint that you have previously used
as a guide:
- Paint on weatherboard or fibro can last up to 15 years
- Paint on timber will last up to 10 years
- Paint on render walls varies dramatically based on the painter. If applied professionally, paint can last up to 10 years. However, much less if not applied properly. This is where professionals like Painting Pros really make a difference.
- Stained and/or clear finished timber needs to be redone every 2-5 years.
- Full sunlight will reduce the longevity by half
- If you live near the water, especially the ocean, consider repainting every 2-3. Ask us about the use of high-quality marine grade paints and maintenance to reduce salt build up in these circumstances.
- Sprinkler systems in your area
Ultimately it comes down to choosing the right paints for the situation and preparing the surfaces thoroughly. Painting Pros can advise you on the right paint for each surface and environmental condition and have a detailed preparation process to ensure the best result and longevity of your home.Contact us to discuss